Peacock and turkey birds are opposite in terms of appearance, and you can easily distinguish between both of them. Here we will discuss, peacock and turkey features and who would win if a fight happens between both the species.
Peacock is the national bird of India and a beautiful bird belonging to the pheasant family of birds. The birds of pheasant family have colors of black, blue, or grey, along with an attractive and beautiful tail behind their body and a crown on their head.
Peacock has always had an importance in India because of its significance in Indian mythology like peacock painting, peacock carvings, thrones, floors, and carpets during earlier times in forts and palaces. Hunting and poaching of Peacock in India can lead to imprisonment for life.
What is a group of blobfish called? How big is a blobfish?
Interesting Peacock Facts:
- Male Peacock has a size of up to 7.5 feet or 2.3 m in length, and their tail can be around 4 to 5 feet in length. Peacocks can weigh between 9 to 13 pounds.
- On the other hand, female Peacock is eventually small, having a size of 2 feet 10 inches or 0.86 m in length. As compared to male peacocks, they do not have a long tail. Female Peacock can weigh from 6 to 9 pounds.
- Peacocks are naturally calm birds, but they get furious when it comes to conflict for their territory. In the mating season, Peahens, who have laid eggs, can attack if anyone goes close to their nest. On the other hand, the Peacock who protects the Peahen will strike any other male if it approaches them. Peacocks are seen to have friendly behavior with humans when they are given time and love.
- In the wild, Peacock, as a species, can live from 10 years to 25 years on average. In captivity, breeders have reported that Peacocks can live up to 50 years.
Peacock lives in forests, farmlands, bush land, and other warm areas with easy access to low tress. Even though peacocks are widely seen in many Asian countries, they are dominant in India, Sri-Lanka, and Myanmar.
Read sunda colugo facts and more about sunda flying lemur adaptations.
What do Peacock Eat?
Peacocks have both carnivorous and herbivorous diets. Peacocks eat fruits, berries, grains, seeds, grasses, flowers, petals, and some plants. Other than these, their food also consists of small insects, snakes, reptiles, and mammals.
How Fast can a Peacock Run?
According to the wildlife reports, Peacocks can achieve a top speed of 16 Km/h while running. Peacocks can fly, but not like other birds. They can fly for short distances at low altitude and can reach a top speed of 32Km/hours.
Turkey is a giant colorful bird that is said to be first seen or originated in America. North American continent has two types of Turkey species: Wild Turkey and Ocellated Turkey. The male turkeys have a certain fleshy part that hangs from the top of their beak. Like Peacocks, male Turkeys are much more colorful than females.
Interesting Turkey Facts:
- The male turkeys have a size of 100-120 cm in length and can weight about 11 – 24 pounds, while female turkeys have a capacity of about 75 – 95 cm in length and weight of about 5.5 – 11 pounds.
- Wild turkeys are very bold and aggressive not only towards other animals and birds but also towards humans. Exposing yourself regularly to a wild turkey will make the turkey likely to lose the fear of people. Once they become bold and furious, it becomes tough to control them, and they can damage humans.
- They can live for about 6 to 7 years on average, and there are some exceptional cases where turkeys are known to live for up to 10 years.
Wild Turkey Habitat:
The species usually inherit in the forest floors but can be found in grasslands and swamps. They prefer hardwood and mixed conifer-hardwoods with various opening such as pastures, fields, etc.
What do Wild Turkey Eat?
Turkeys can adjust their diets according to the seasons. During the spring season, turkeys eat buds, grasses, and small plants. In the summer, they eat berries and small insects, while in autumn and winter, they eat nuts, fruits, and grains. So turkeys also fall in the category of omnivores like peacocks.
How Fast Can a Turkey Run?
Wild turkeys can achieve a top speed of 40 km/hour because of their muscular legs. According to wildlife reports, turkey can fly at a high rate of 88 km/hour. However, domestic turkeys are bred to be so enormous, that they can provide meat, and because of their weight, they cannot fly; instead, they can only run.
Peacock vs Turkey Fight: Who Would Win?
It will be unfair to imagine a fight between Peacock and turkey, but if a battle ever happened between them, turkey has more chances of winning because of his bold and aggressive behavior than a peacock. Although a turkey will surely not be able to knock down a peacock, at least it can make a peacock fly away from the war area.
Are dugong extinct? what does a dugong look like?