Jellyfish Scientific Name:
The scientific name of jellyfish is Scyphozoa, and the scientific classification of a jellyfish contains kingdom, phylum, and
There is no particular habitat of a jellyfish; they can be found the vast Ocean in all over the world. Some species of jellyfish can be found in the warm tropical Ocean, while some can be found in the cold Arctic Ocean. Some species live at the bottom of the Ocean while some live close to the surface.
Jellyfish Have Tentacles?
Jellyfishes do have tentacles around their mouth that help them to stun upon their prey. The length of the arms depends on the type of jellyfish species.
Different Types of Jellyfish:
The scientific name of box jellyfish is Cubozoa. Box jellyfish
Scientifically known as
Lion’s mane jellyfish-
The lion’s mane jellyfish is also known as Cyanea Capillata; it is the giant jellyfish on the earth. It can grow up to 800 tentacles, which can float 100 meters below it. The lion’s mane jellyfish can be found in the cold oceans of the arctic, Atlantic and pacific.
Golden Jellyfish is known as Mastigias Papua Etpisoni, golden jellyfish habits in the saltwater of Palau near the Philippines. These species spend their day in migrating back and forth across the western shore. Golden jellyfish’s sizes up to 5.5 inches. They are named for their golden tentacles and domes.
Aurelia Aurita is the species of the jellyfish commonly seen on the shores of North America and Europe. It lives in about 20 feet deep in water and has a blue or pink color.
- Even though their name is jellyfish, but they are not fish, they are invertebrates and absorb oxygen through membranes.
- Jellyfish have six major body parts- epidermis, gastrodermis, mesoglea, gastrovascular cavity, orifice, and tentacles.
- The development of a jellyfish includes three stages-
I. Polyps- baby jellyfish
II. Ephrae- young jellyfish
III. Medusae- adult jellyfish
- Jellyfishes can be found in all the ocean waters of the earth. They can grow in the cold arctic water and warm tropical water, they have settled at the bottom of the Ocean and near the seashore.
- It is believed that jellyfish have been around over 650 million years.
- Jellyfish feed on other aquatic creatures such as shrimps, small fishes, and plants. Jellyfish use tentacles to catch their prey.
- There are 25 types of edible jellyfishes typically found in salads and pickles.
- It’s a common superstition that if a person is stung by a jellyfish, another person should urinate on the sting to ease the pain. However, it’s not true.
- Some jellyfishes are luminous creatures that can produce their light.
- Jellyfish release their eggs and sperms in the water, which ultimately meet and get fertilized. The egg then becomes the embryo and develop in the water.
How Long Do Jellyfish Live
Normally jellyfishes have a lifespan of 12 to 18 months but with proper living conditions, they can live up to 20 years