Unlike humans, dogs also suffer from dry skin problems. The dry skin on dogs brings irritation to both the dog and the owner. And notably, some of the causes are the same in both of them. Dry skin is a common problem in dogs which is due by many reasons. Though, it can be treated effectively without putting your dog in any danger. The itchy, dry, flaky skin on dogs can make them uncomfortable, so let’s understand the causes, symptoms, and treatment for dry skin on dogs.
Dry skin in dogs is due to several reasons such as allergies, parasites, infection or any other reason. Although dry skin may not seem to be much serious issue, it can be a sign of a serious problem in your dog.
Severe Dry Skin On Dogs (Dry Flaky Skin on Dogs)
Food, seasonal and environmental allergies are the most common forms of allergies that can occur in many dogs. Dogs can be allergic to pollen, dust, grass, feathers, animal dander and flea saliva. If these allergies left untreated, these allergies can result in dry skin, redness, itchy skin. American dogs have a very common allergy that is a flea allergy, these dogs are allergic to the saliva of the flea.
Fleas and mites commonly known as parasites and bites from these can irritate your dog’s skin and even make the dog’s skin dry, flaky, mange, dandruff and scaly. Ear mites, lead your dog to shake his head violently.
Infection in dogs, whether it is bacterial or fungal can cause a variety of skin problems. Sometimes these infections can lead to severe diseases in dogs. Even some infections in dogs are easily communicable to humans.
Some dog breeds are prone to skin diseases, particularly when they have dry skin. Hairless and fast-growing breeds are more likely to get skin diseases easily.
Cold or windy weather makes the dog’s skin dry and itchy as during these seasons your dog often lacks moisture. The condition can become worse when the outside weather
If your dog is already suffering from thyroid disease, it can cause your dog’s skin dry due to lack of essential hormones.
A low nutrient diet also results in dry skin, a dog can get thick, shiny and healthy coat after receiving essential nutrients.
Also read about top 10 fighting dogs.
Other Causes (Dog Skin Conditions)-
From the above-mentioned reasons, some other causes include excessive bathing to your dog, using harsh shampoo or soaps. To avoid dog skin conditions, try to change its bathing routine and start using a mild shampoo and soap.
Dog Skin Condition (Reasons for Dog Flaky Skin)-
Dog Flaky Skin–
Flaking in a dog occurs when the dead skin falls off its body, which is noticeable on the belly or
When the dry skin is not noticed initially, the dog becomes itchy and continue to starch until the dog gets the appropriate treatment.
Scaling is different from flaking, in this condition the skin comes out in large sections.
Just like flaking dandruff also occur in small portions, one can notice dandruff where the dog lay down in a form of white dead skin or flake.
Shedding is a major cause for dry skin, in this condition the dog will lose its hair from all over the body or in some cases it will have a spotty or a patchy area of missing hair.
Pimples seem to be small red bumps.
When pimples increase and may break open when your dog itches, it may blister before you observe them.
When the dryness is due to the presence of bacterial and fungal infection, it begins to stink.
If the dog has dry skin, it is more likely to have infection and inflammation. Red skin is a symbol of inflammation.
Also read about home remedies for dog allergies.
What Can I Put on My Dog for Dry Skin (Dog Dry Skin Remedy)?
Here are some dog dry skin remedy that will prevent them from dry skin problems-
Yogurt acts as a moisturizer and contains some good bacteria that help to re-settle the skin. The yogurt can also improve your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. Give your dog a small amount of yogurt each day from one teaspoon for smaller dogs to one tablespoon to larger dogs.
An oatmeal bath cures the dog’s itchy skin by reducing inflammations and allergens that get trap in your dog’s fur. Oatmeal is non-toxic, so it is completely safe for your dog. Sprinkle some ground oats in the warm water and let your dog soak in for 10 to 15 minutes or you can apply a paste of oatmeal on the affected area.
Apple Cider Vinegar-
Apple cider vinegar is a powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal ingredient that treats dry and itchy skin. Mix apple cider vinegar with water and pour it in a spray bottle, sprinkle the mixture on the affected area of your dog’s body. Put the dog’s paws and soak its paws in the solution for 5 minutes.
What to put on dogs dry skin (What Can i Put on My Dog for Dry Skin)
- Chamomile and green tea- Chamomile and green tea bath are best for dogs if they are suffering from hot or patchy skin. The solution of chamomile and green acts as a soothing and anti-inflammatory property. Put some tea bags in the lukewarm water for 3 minutes, remove the tea bags and let your dog soak for 5 minutes in the tub or sink.
- Coconut oil- Coconut oil fights against the dog’s allergy, skin infection and even bites. Take solid and chilled coconut oil and massage it into the affected area of the dog’s coat and skin.
- Aloe Vera- We all know that aloe Vera is a strong healing agent which saves from sunburn and also reduces redness. Directly massage the aloe Vera gel on your dog’s affected spots.
- Baking soda- Baking soda when mixed with water can act as a soothing agent to reduce dryness of the skin,and to remove rashes from the skin and removes itchiness and redness on the dog’s skin. Just add equal parts of baking soda and water to make a paste and apply it on your dog’s skin and rinse it after 20 minutes.
Olive Oil For Dogs (Dog Dry Skin Remedy):
Using olive oil for dog’s dry skin is safe and beneficial, as olive oil acts as a moisturizer and contains omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin E. Apply 5 to 10 drops of olive oil and water directly on your dog’s skin for faster relief and wipe out the excess oil from the dog’s coat. Olive oil not only treats the dog’s dry skin, but also helps them in various ways.
Olive oil helps to reduce the body weight of your dog. The mono-saturated fats present in this oil break down the fat in the fat cells that encourages fat loss around the belly and also reduces insulin activity.
Olive oil helps to improve the immune system that prevents the dogs from getting sick. The oil also helps to boost brain activity in dogs but also improves circulation and breathing in dogs.
Dog Dry Skin Treatment:
As an owner, a question may arise in your mind that what helps dog dry skin? You can improve the skin quality of your dog by changing several things that will ultimately prevent them from dry or itchy skin.
- Brush your dog daily if you notice that your dog is suffering from dry skin. Brushing helps to remove the dead skin.
- Bathe your dog with a mild shampoo that will prevent the skin from itching and dryness. You can also use an oatmeal-based shampoo that will moisturize your dog’s skin.
- Adding a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil with the shampoo relieves the dog from itchiness as the essential oil contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- To prevent your dog from getting dry skin you can also change his diet. Your dog needs a raw diet that provides him with all the necessary nutrients and essential oils. This type of diet will improve his health and quality of the skin.
All the remedies are non-toxic and safe for dogs but still, it is also necessary to always consult your vet to prevent your dog from getting any severe issue or problem. A proper diagnosis will provide the most effective treatment for your dog’s dry skin.
Also read about chronic ear infection in dogs.