Constipation refers to the situation when dogs are incapable of producing a normal stool. According to a dog’s schedule, they need to go out once or twice daily but when a dog is suffering from constipation, he will not go out at all or produce hard stool. In severe cases, dogs may possess hard or dry faecal in their digestive tract which is known as constipation.
Many dog owners who are new with dogs often do not understand the constipation problem. The question arises in their mind is can dogs get constipated? And it is normal as they do not have much experience with the dogs so they are not able to know about the problems or diseases a dog have to go through.
Symptoms of Constipation-
The most obvious symptom is the lack of defecation or no bowel movement for more than 24 hours. Another symptom may include the following-
- Circling or frequent squatting without results.
- Two days or longer bowel movement.
- Crying out or showing signs of discomfort during defecation.
- Hard and dry stool
- Lack of appetite
- Lack of energy
Constipation can be caused by the following reasons-
- Hair ingestion from self-grooming or by licking the floors or bones.
- Toy pieces or any other objects that are difficult to digest and eliminate.
- Age factor as elder dogs is prone to this disease.
- Stress or psychological problems
- Lack of exercise
- Side effects of medicines
- An obstacle at the anus
- An obstacle in or outside the colon wall
- Skipped meals
- The enlarged prostate gland in male dogs
- Orthopaedic disorders
Also read about how to get a cat to like you.
Home Remedies For Dog Constipation (Dog Constipation Remedy):
If your dog is having constipation, it shouldn’t be left untreated as this may lead to some severe disease. It’s better to consult a vet before any serious cause occurs. Following are some home remedies to prevent your dog from constipation-
- Always ensure that your dog is getting water so that it will add enough moisture in the dog’s body and will help to resolve constipation.
- To keep your dog’s digestive system working make sure your dog exercises daily as regular exercise will help to push the poop straight through the colon.
- Add more fiber to your dog’s food, some food items contain fibers such as green vegetables, coconut or fiber oil, psyllium powder. You just have to add these ingredients into your dog’s food.
- You can also add some enzymes and probiotics into the dog’s diet, this will prevent your dog from constipation.
- For a shorter period, you can switch to canned food for your dog. Sometimes dry diet causes difficulty in draining out. Wet food contains moisture which is essential for a dog’s diet.
- Add some vegetable oil or olive oil in your dog’s food but always remember to add it in smaller quantity as an excess of these oils can cause diarrhea.
- When you add barns to your dog’s food regularly such as wheat or oat, it acts like a preventative.
- Though you should never provide milk to your dog it can help with your canine constipation as milk acts as a laxative. A small bowl of milk is enough for the dog to get relieved from constipation.
- Ginger and chicken broth is a quite good and easy remedy for a dog to help with constipation. Just by mixing one-fourth teaspoon of ginger with a half cup of beef soup helps to heal the upset stomach of your canine.
- Apple cider vinegar is another remedy that helps to treat all kinds of digestive problem. Experts have suggested that a small amount of apple cider vinegar is safe to give to dogs. Apple cider vinegar contains only one major ingredient that is the ripen apple juice. This juice fights against infection, ensure overall health.
- Aloe Vera juice is another home remedy that consists of a mild laxative property which is beneficial for animals and humans both. A small amount of aloe Vera juice added into the dog’s food or water will help him to remove stool from his body. This juice will also help to cure any kind of digestive problem.
What Can I Give My Dog For Constipation?
Pumpkin for Dog Constipation:
As pumpkin is rich in fiber and contains a good amount of water it can help your canine with constipation. You can feed your dog with fresh pumpkin or canned pumpkin but you should never give pumpkin purees and pie fillings as they contain added sugar and certain compound that may be toxic to the dog. Also, remember to give a smaller amount of pumpkin to the dog. Just add one to four tablespoons of pumpkin in every meal of your dog that can help ease mild constipation.
More About Dog Constipation Treatment:
When you observe that home remedies for dog constipation are not enough to cure your dog with constipation you should understand that it is time now to visit the vet. Sometimes home remedies may prove to be unhelpful for dog’s constipation as different breeds have different body functions.
When you visit the vet, it may suggest you with a prescribed diet that is highly fibrous and are made especially for canines. Sometimes vet can also prescribe with stool softener tools, there are many stool softener available in the market.
As constipation is a common problem in dogs, but if this is ignored or left untreated it may cause severe health issues including loss of appetite, vomiting and drowsiness.
Stool Softener for Dogs:
When the medication is not working to cure your dog’s constipation, the vet may suggest you for a stool softener. It is similar to human softener such as docusate. Docusate will work by allowing fat and water to pass through the food present in your dog’s gastrointestinal tract, losing faeces material. Always remember to use a stool softener for your dog after seeking advice from the vet.
What to do if Your Dog is Constipated?
Sometimes your vet may also recommend you for dietary changes that act as a natural stool softener. Such a diet includes more fiber to the food. Your vet may suggest you for these dietary changes after the dog consumes stool softener for a short duration and is regular again. When stool softener is not sufficient to prevent the dog constipation the vet may suggest for an enema.
Also read how to get rid off cat dandruff.