As a cat owner, you have observed that your cat likes to lean on your kitchen counters, while for some pet owners it is OK if their feline hang on their counters but actually it is a bad habit that should be stopped. A cat walking on the kitchen counter can bring several threats for both of the cats and their owners. If the cat is regularly jumping on the counter it is the possibility that the cat may land on the hot stove and on the hand the owner is at a higher risk regarding sanitary issues.
Often cats walk on their paws in the litter box and then bring the same on the counter that spreads bacteria. Now let’s understand why cats jump on the counters.
Here could be several reasons that attract cats to jump off on the counters, the common reasons can be described as-
- The major reason is that cat love height, we have seen cats climbing a tree. Most of the cats can either jump up from the ground and sometimes can get help from a well-positioned chair.
- As the sense of smell in cats is far better than humans, they often find the kitchen counters smell good. Cats are loaded with fascinating things to eat such as raw chicken and beef.
- Cats also get attracted to the running water in the kitchen sink. The main source of drinking water for cats is the running water from the kitchen tap.
How to Stop Cats from Getting On the Counters (Training Cats):
You can apply a few techniques on training cats to stay off counters, these techniques have proven successful.
- Apply the sticky tape on the edges of the counter as cats hate the feeling of sticky things. This will make the cat make a distance from the counters.
- A strip of crinkled aluminum foil along the counter, this will not only make them uncomfortable when felt on toes but the noise created will act as deters for them.
- By eliminating the possibility of getting the cat upon the top of the counter such as the chair. Move the chair away from the reach of the cats so that it will result in the withdrawal of their boost.
- Keep the counter of your kitchen always clean so that whenever the cat is around the kitchen. It is necessary to remove the temptations of food, crumbs and other food items that may draw the attraction of your cats.
Also read difference between bison and buffalo.
Essential Oils to Keep Cats off Counter:
Natural oils are derived from the plants that smell pleasant for humans but not for cats. As cats are known for their curiosity it becomes quite difficult to keep them away from tight spaces. Natural plant oils act like a cat counter deterrent. Here are some natural oils that can keep your cats from roaming around your counters.
Citronella Essential Oil-
Citronella oil is made from the leaves of the lemongrass plant which has a strong citrus aroma. As we know cats have a strong sense of smell, they hate strong scents and will avoid going to those areas. The oil can also be used to repel insects as it has no toxic properties. You have to make a solution of 20 drops of citronella oil with 200 ml of water and pour it in a spray bottle. Apply the spray on the surfaces or directly on the counters, you can also spray it in your gardens to protect your plants. In addition to this, you can also use citronella scented candles to keep your cat away for a longer period.
Citrus Essential Oils-
Citrus essential oils include lime, orange and lemon oil to repel cats. These oils are obtained from the peels of orange, lemon, and lime. Cats hate the smell of citrus fruits as they have a strong and bitter scent. To keep the cat away from the cotton you can use the combination of equal parts of lemon and orange oils with three parts of water and use it as a spray. You can apply the mixture on the counter, on fabrics, furniture to repel the cats. Another way is to directly rub the peels of citrus fruits on the affected area to create a natural scent or grind them and sprinkle around the surfaces or plants. You can also soak cotton balls in these essential oils and place them directly on the area to keep cats off counters.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil-
The oil is derived from the eucalyptus tree which as a strong menthol-like scent and cats hate highly flavored scents. For this, you need to soak a cotton ball in eucalyptus oil and place it on the areas you want a cat to stay away from. You can also rub cloths sprinkled in the oil on the surfaces to coat it from oil. Eucalyptus oil can also prevent the cat from roaming around the plants for this you can tie a cloth dipped in this oil around the plants.
More About How to Keep Cat off Table:
Before applying the above essential oils you must be careful to take certain precautions. You should not spray any kind of oil directly on cats as these oils can be poisonous for them if absorbed through the skin. Spray these oils on the surfaces around your house so that the scent repels the cat naturally.
How to Train a Cat to Stay off the Table:
As a cat owner, one can often find that cats love to take a jump everywhere in the house. Cats jump more often either on the kitchen counter or on the dinner table. And it is not possible for you to always keep an eye on your cat. So here are some tips on how to keep cat off table–
- The best way to keep cat off table is to provide it with an alternative. It is not possible to stop the cats from jumping as it is their natural behavior but you can provide them with good alternate so that instead of jumping on the table and counter they will find your alternative more attractive. Getting indoor cat furniture that is designed like a tree shape proves to be a helpful replacement. The furniture usually comprises perches and podiums which will satisfy your cat. You can also make it a resting place for your cat.
- Another option is to make the area more attractive for your feline which is away from the kitchen counter or table. You can also turn the furniture bought for the cat more appealing by spraying catnip on the desired area, as the scent of catnip will attract your feline. Feeding the cat on a particular location or on the new furniture specially designed for the cat. Play in the area which is away from your kitchen, so that the cat will find it more engaging.
- Cats often roam around the kitchen searching for food, if you feed them more it will naturally keep them from the table. You can try to break the meal of your feline into several feeding times during the whole day. Once the cat’s hunger will be satisfied it will not roam in search of food. You can also try to free feed your cat, for this, you simply need to fill your cat’s bowl at the beginning of the day and allow them to eat whenever they want to eat.
Read more about Hawk Facts.