For us, sweets are hard to resist, be it chocolates, cakes, or caramels. But when we talk about a healthy lifestyle, excess sweet is suggested harmful for human health; even doctors recommend avoiding sugary items to protect from various health hazards. But what about sharing your sweet treat with your pet dog. In previous articles, we have seen what human-food is safe or harmful for your four-legged buddy. After all, as an owner, you do not want to hurt your pet intentionally. Let us discuss on can dogs eat caramel? But before that, let’s see what caramel is made from?
Caramel is a sweet candy that is made by melting sugar between the temperatures of 170 degrees C and 340 degrees F. Under the stated temperature, the sugar is heating, which results in breaking down of its molecules to form a new compound. The newly made combination is dark in color and has a little bit of burnt flavor, which we humans enjoy in cakes and ice creams. And as the caramel is super delicious, you also want to share it with your canine.
Can Dogs Have Caramel? (Will Caramel Hurt Dogs)
We, humans, enjoy a lot munching on ice creams and cakes, and as a pet parent, you can understand how challenging it is to resist your little puppy when he is goofing around you to have a little bit of sweet treat. At the same time, it becomes necessary to remember that not all human food is safe for dogs.
Thinking about caramels, they are not toxic to dogs, but also, they are not entirely safe. Like chocolates and cakes, caramels can have both long-term and short-term effects on your canine’s health. Usually, it is believed that you should not feed your dog with anything too sweet. An excess amount of sugar can lead to obesity, diabetes, and dental issues in dogs. Even some dog breeds cannot tolerate sugar at all, and when given, they can suffer from vomiting and diarrhea.
Also read Python vs Boa Constrictor difference,
Is Caramel Bad for Dogs?
Caramel is not consider deadly for a dog, but at the same time, it is not regarded as safe for your canine’s health. You can provide a little bit of caramel as a treat to your little pup, but your dog needs to suffer a lot when you give frequently. Following mentioned are some of the short-term and long-term side effects of caramel on your pet dog-
- Hyper-activity- The frequent effect of sugar in your dog is that it can make your four-legged companion hyperactive. When you feed your dog with sweet cookies or anything else which is too sweet, you can experience that your canine is becoming hyperactive in a few minutes. On becoming hyperactive, your dog will start running and playing around your house.
- Temporary losing concentration- It gets disturbed before facing a state of lethargy. And this is not just what sugar can do to your canine but also to humans. There is a blunt flow of energy after which the body slows down, which results in hunger and dizziness. Moreover, feeding your dog with candies as a treat often leads to changes in the body’s chemicals. Your dog can get moody and often goes into the zone of temporary memory loss.
- Physical changes- There are some physical side effects when your dog has an excessive sugar intake. The changes are vomiting and diarrhea; it is also recommended to take your dog to the vet to avoid overeating sugar. If the situation is not treated immediately, diarrhea and vomiting can turn into dehydration.
Now, after learning about the short-term effects of feeding caramel to your dog, let us move on to the long-term effects of feeding caramel to your buddy-
- Obesity- Every dog needs to maintain its weight based on their breed and height, and when their value exceeds the limit, they fall under the category of obesity. And we all are aware that obesity is link with health problems such as –
- Hypertension- When your pet has an unusual blood pressure level, it indicates that the blood does not flow properly. And when your dog has a consistently higher level of blood pressure, it can badly affect its other body organs such as kidney and heart. And To balance the blood pressure level in your canine, it is essential to restrict your canine’s sugar intake.
- Absence of energy- Excess sugar can drain out sugar from your dog’s body, and it is difficult for obese dogs to run around and release energy. And because if their joints hurt and they tend to laze around. Lack of physical activity will only make your dog lazy, unhealthy, and sick.
- Dental issues- To imitate bacteria, the production of acid needs sugar. However, acid is responsible for causing tooth decay in your canine’s outer layer of teeth. To prevent any oral problem in your dog’s mouth, you need to focus on feeding minimal sugar to your buddy.
- Diabetes- When you choose low food items, it causes type 2 diabetes in your dog, and one of those bad choices is sugar and caramel. When your pet has type 2 diabetes, it won’t be able to process the glucose.
So before feeding any sugary items like caramel or cake to your buddy, take a moment and think will caramel hurt my dog?
Can My Dog Eat Caramel?
Your dog can have caramel only when in small quantities and not so frequently. It is suggested not to give caramel as a dog treat for your canine. However, you can provide a small amount of caramel to your dog, but too much caramel is not at all suggested for your puppy. So, as long as you are not offering caramels to your dog frequently, your dog can stay healthy, but showing too much quantity can lead to severe health issues discussed above. It is always better to give fresh fruits such as bananas and mangoes as an alternative to your canine.
Can Dogs Eat Caramel Popcorn?
When you want to offer some popcorn to your canine while watching a movie with you at night, you also want to avoid that caramel thing. In such a scenario, you need to find a middle ground. Here is the healthy popcorn recipe treat for your buddy-
- Take a half cup of low sugar peanut butter
- Half a cup of natural popcorn
- One teaspoon of olive oil
- One-third teaspoon of honey
Pop the corn kernel in olive oil and coat the cooked popcorn with a mixture of peanut butter and honey.
As a pup owner, you want to give everything to your pup to munch. But at the same time, you need to be careful about what people’s food is safe for your dog. Keeping that in mind, you can think of feeding the completely safe items for your canine. And talking about caramels, it falls under the list of foods that are not safe for dogs.
Also read Ape vs Bear comparison.